Grade 2 Music Theory ABRSM*** UPDATED for the 2018 ABRSM Syllabus Changes ***
This Grade 2 Music Theory video courses covers the ABRSM syllabus in full.
Pass the ABRSM grade 2 music theory exam with confidence!
What Will I Learn?
- The simple time signatures of 2/2, 3/2, 4/2 and 3/8 and grouping of notes/rests in these time signatures
- Minor harmonic and minor melodic scales
- Scales and key signatures in the keys of A, Bb and Eb major, and A, E and D minor
- Tonic triads in the same keys
- Intervals above the tonic by number
- Foreign musical terms and symbols
Grade 2 Music Theory is the second level of exams offered by the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music).
This course is ideal if you are reasonably confident in reading simple music pieces, and would like to expand your knowledge into a deeper understanding of how music works.
You do not need to have passed grade 1 to take this course!
Please note that the grade 2 course/syllabus overlaps with grade 1, so we will also review some topics from grade 1 (those that normally cause the most confusion!)
This level covers the major and minor (harmonic and melodic) scales, key signatures and triads in the keys of A, Bb and Eb major and A, E and D minor (plus revision of the keys from grade 1 - C, G, D and F major).
You'll learn about slightly more complex rhythmic concepts, such as time signatures with a minim/half note beat (2/2, 3/2 and 4/2) and the triplet.
The course includes:
- Free comprehensive coursebook PDF with more examples and explanations
- The PDF includes hundreds of practice exercises (answers included)
- PDF also includes a mock test in the style of the exam
- Support from your teacher
The course uses both UK and USA note terminology (crotchet AND quarter note).